Monday, February 11, 2008

Eye of the World: Prologue

So I'm trying to read more frequently, in a quest to write better, and I figured I'd start with a classic of the fantasy genre: The Eye of the World, by Robert Jordan. I've probably read this book four or five times already, but it's been a couple of years since the last time. When I read it this time, it will be with an eye toward the techniques of actual writing.

I imagine that if you are reading this blog, you've probably already read this book, but I'm putting a spoiler warning right here. You have been warned.

I remember the first time I read the book, the prologue confused me. It's set long before the events of the main storyline, and centers on a madman. Lews Therin has just slaughtered his family and friends, during the grips of insanity, and wanders around some sort of destroyed castle or whatnot. Then Ishamael comes, and delivers a moment of clarity to Lews Therin, so that Lews Therin will know what he has done in his insanity. This is all explained later in the series, but initially I remember that I really had no idea what was going on.

I think the prologue was fantastic, this time around. Lews Therin is clearly insane, and I enjoyed the dialogue Jordan uses to get this across. He keeps calling for his wife, who is lying dead in front of him. Even better, when Ishamael shows up, Lews Therin is worried that his wife will be cross if she cannot entertain the guest, who happens to be the most dangerous of the evil Forsaken, come to destroy him.

When Lews Therin is granted sanity, and teleports off to blow himself up, we are given our first glances at the magic system that is central to the Wheel of Time. This is the best thing about the entire series (the magic, the insanity, Saidar and Saidin), and I wish Jordan had concentrated more on it in later books, and less on travelling circuses and nude flights through the dream world.

As far as writing goes, I really enjoy Jordan's style. I think he is quite masterful with his vocabulary, although he is sometimes droning when it comes to description. I think some people probably like that, though. I also noticed that he names everything. Anyone who comes on the stage, and even some characters who are only seen in passing, are given names. I find this to be distracting, often, but it does give his world a depth. I'm just not sure if it's one small reason I always find myself drowned when it comes to later books.

5 comments:

Jeremy and Sarah said...

I am glad that you are doing a blog about nerdy things, Jeremy will be excited but you did steal our background...haha

Shawn said...

Maybe we just both have good taste?

Jeremy and Sarah said...

syes, thats it for sure.

Jeremy and Sarah said...

Man I am not sure about Robert Jordan. I think that half of the time he knows what he is doing and the other half of the time it feels like he is vomitting words out onto a page just to hit that 800 page mark. I mean you think that his editor cut anything out. I would have liked to see the unedited Eye of the World. I bet that bad boy was nearly a thousand pages in length. I think there needs to be a happy medium between Brooks and Jordan. I will say with utmost honesty that I think Martin smashes Jordan's face when it comes to prose. If I were an aspiring author I would read this stuff.

Devyn said...

"although he is sometimes droning when it comes to description. I think some people probably like that, though." Biggest turn off in a book ever. imo.