Tuesday, March 4, 2008

How I Became So Cool

People see me and are like, man, that guy is COOL. He's got the New Spring hardcover sitting on the front seat of his car, his loft is full of suh-weet action figures and comic books, heck, he even started his own comic. How is it that he got to be so cool? And where'd all of his hair go? I get this all the time, so I figured I'd make it easy by saving this here post for the masses. That way when people start fawning over me, I can be like, BAM, go to my blog, all of your questions are answered there, at the font of eternal knowledge (disclaimer: this is not REALLY the font of eternal knowledge).

When I was in seventh grade many kids in my school began reading Dragonlance. It had mysterious maps and dragons on the cover. I wanted to read it, but first I had to get a copy. I repeatedly went down to the school library, but the book was ALWAYS checked out. I couldn't find it. It probably had a waiting list. I tried to track kids down to have them check it in so I could pick it up. Nothing worked. How I eventually got a copy is hazy. I must have picked it up at the library some time, because I was like 11, I didn't have any other resources. The point is I got it, took it home and got in trouble. My dad freaked. Dragonlance! Are you kidding? Dungeons and Dragons are serious business! I knew a kid who knew a kid who knew a guy that killed himself when his DM went for three sessions without saying "roll initiative". We couldn't have that kind of evil in the house. So I had to take the book back. I think I cried. No, really.


But then the formative event in my nerd-life happened. My dad was like, hey, stop crying, I can get you something better. Better? Yeah, better. So we drove down to Bookstar (the pre-cursor to B&N) and he took me to the back left corner of the store and found The Lord of the Rings. I still remember this Bookstar store. The fantasy books were all crammed in the back, next to the magazine racks, it was great. So I had three new books (50th anniversary editions, I think), but I still wasn't convinced. I mean, I don't even SEE a dragon on the covers here. Who's this old guy with the uber long beard? What the crap is a hobbit?

But I got hooked. I loved these books fiercely. I still remember being curled up in the hallway (that's where I read) and heading to Weathertop, and then on to Rivendell. This really changed my life. From then on I was making fantastical maps, and strange names. I was creating runes, and magic. It was wonderful.



Over the years my tastes have broadened, but I still owe everything to Tolkien. I mean, that was a cool guy. I can't think of anyone as hardcore as he was about his world. But he started it for me, by way of Dragonlance. It's crazy to think a little book from seventh grade could propel me to this life. Nearly 100% of my hobby time is spent in ways that reflect my love of fantasy. It's a great genre: fantastical, magical, wonderful, important. I couldn't be happier about it, honestly.

1 comment:

Devyn said...

I love your childhood stories.... I'm glad you found Tolkien and that you now revel in your love of fantasy. Why didn't you teach Michael to love to read? I blame you.